Cuckoo Studio Logo - Advice and Criticism welcome!

edited October 2007 in advice
Cuckoo studio logo comp1

and

Cuckoo studio logo comp 2

Comments

• edited 6:21PM
    in most of those i don't register the broken egg as being the second "o". I would take that first set and try tracing the egg into vector format then use the same outline style you used on the text. Not only would that reinforce that the egg is also part of the word, it would be easier to scale and print on letterhead, or business cards. I try to avoid actual photos in logos as much as possible. Think of all the places they will use this logo and ask if having the photo of an egg is better than an illustration of the egg. If it works better go for it.

All that said, I do like the design of it, in a general sense. I like the first and second color schemes the best.
    also, since the egg is already cracked, having the studio in cracked lettering as well seems a bit much. And if you scale that font down it doesn't look cracked anymore, it just looks misprinted (which would make sense, since it came from misprinted type, right?). Something all caps and the same look, but solid, I think would look better, or at least is worth a try.
    i like both the o's too. the egg contents and perspectived 'studio' work well for me... maybe a combination of the two?

and it wouldn't be the same without mds violet™ :)
    I like the first one best, but would add in the second "o" at the end. The cracked egg is more a supportive illustrative or photographic element. I like "studio" done perspective. I also like the orange and yellow motif, have you tried reversing that color scheme - mkae the letters yellow the outside part red-orange - no gradient? because i find the 3rd one down wtih the blue outside and citrus green letters has the best legibility/visual strength and i think it's because the darker color is on the outside. I also agree that "studio" needn't be in a distressed/cracked font.

good stuff. very fun and tight.
    from my non-designer-view i like version one and three best. however i can imagine that putting pictures/photos in a logo isn't ideal for every purpose the logo is probably used at. but then, what do i know ... beside that mark stern is sexy as fuck! :))
    ahhhahahaha.

Well call me Chet and tickle my anus. Forgot the copyright thingy was in there. Cheeky focker.

I'll keep going on this. I've been told that the egg may work if it was illustrative rather than a placed image. Then again, I may keep playing around. Bull makes a valid point, and although typically I am hesitant to frnakenstein elements, I don't think there is anything wrong with that here...

Oh, and here is an early version of my biz card's backside:
    BIZCARD BACK
    that is a great backer, mds.

off on a tangent, one of my favorite sculptures ever is a life-size figure in nothing but a straightjacket, with an erection - inside the jacket. one of the funniest things i've ever seen.

anyway, very nice.
    dont like photos in logos. Try sticking that on a fax. ;)

i like the first one too.. but as a designer you gotta drop the end. unless you cna make a fax, 12 pt sized friendly version.
    have the word studio in the yolk/constructed out of the yolk

vortexual
    mds76:ahhhahahaha.
    Well call me Chet and tickle my anus. Forgot the copyright thingy was in there. Cheeky focker.
    ok chet, turn around!
    great work there, mds! i like it ... and fax is overrated anyway nowadays! ;)
    bull:
    off on a tangent, one of my favorite sculptures ever is a life-size figure in nothing but a straightjacket, with an erection - inside the jacket. one of the funniest things i've ever seen.
    errm ok ... this thread is worthless without ... ;)
    i'm not too fussed on the egg as an 'o', and it's basically the same logo, just with slightly different treatments, right? :D

what kind of studio is it for? (illustrator), why the name? (because you are crazy), what does the logo say about you being crazy? (not that much, at the moment).

lets see some black and white roughs from before you got to this stage, dude :)
    no pics sorry - you'll just have to take my word for it ;)

the image could be live traced/vectorized, right? duotoned in ps and live traced even..... keep to spot colors. anyway, just an errant thought that drifted through

}b
    chris:i'm not too fussed on the egg as an 'o', and it's basically the same logo, just with slightly different treatments, right?
    Yup
    chris:what kind of studio is it for? (illustrator), why the name? (because you are crazy), what does the logo say about you being crazy? (not that much, at the moment).
    Illustration AND design. that is a precarious marketing balance, and although nothing would convey crazy more than a photograph of a feces-stained wall, I doubt that I would land too many prospective clients with something too over the top. A 'cracked' egg was symbolic enough in my opinion. could be wrong

And ask the oldtimers about my mental state if ya don't buy any of this. I thought I was a monkey for two years.
    chris:lets see some black and white roughs from before you got to this stage, dude :)
    Yep... solid advice. I just accidentally opened up my color palette ;)
  • edited October 2007
    very awed by your ability to ask the advice of the people on the board - i would shit messel

i like them - the fact that the egg doesn't register as an 'o' straight away becomes a little surprise for you later imo (like the accidental on-purpose arrow in the fedex logo) although maybe it needs something to bring it into the rest of the logo - like the outline maybe
    NightCrawler:dont like photos in logos. Try sticking that on a fax. ;)

i like the first one too.. but as a designer you gotta drop the end. unless you cna make a fax, 12 pt sized friendly version.
    people still uses faxes?
    we get 1 fax spam per day here.

i don't think it gets used for anything else.

though, we have been known to send a reply fax to them, and loop the paper - they then no longer send us stuff