Wrong Keyboard at login

zefzef
edited February 2007 in advice
What do you do when somebody has changed the keyboard of your system in Ukrainian and logs out?
Your password will be typed in Ukrainian and you 're not able to log in.
What has to be done to change back to your original keyboard layout?
I know you can change the interface's language by clicking the little flag above the first input field at log in.
But you can't change the keyboard that has been changed.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Wow, that sounds like a big design faw if it can't be fixed!

Ok, try Option-Command-Space

It should toggle through the available keyboard layout entries in the main menu, even if the menu is not visible.

I am not sure that this is right for you as you are in the login window, but it is worth a try.
  • edited February 2007
    hehe, if i wasn't the only mac user at work, i'd be trying this out on colleagues!
  • edited 6:53PM
    One possibility is to start up in safe mode. I am sure Biff would know what to do.
  • zefzef
    edited 6:53PM
    I know in eXPee you have to start up in save mode, try to log in as admin (without a password of course, otherwise you got the same problem to solve...). Then you can change the language, log out and log in again. So you can try this at your colleagues Chris!
    So safe mode would do it on the Mac too?

Biff!

...Bihiiiiiiff!
    Jeez, settle down, freakazoids.

If you boot from your USA/UK OS disks, you can reset your password using the password reset utility in the menubar. Then you can log in with no password, and change the settings from the flag after you log in.
    hehe what a way to totally ruin someones morning though, right? :D
    AH, I should have remembered that! I have always been wondering about the fact thta you can 'hack' to any mac simply with the boot disk.
    Well, any computer's security is about zero when you have physical access to it, so it's really a nonissue.

Besides, who carries around a boot disk?
  • edited February 2007
    Them criminal bastards.
    Biff:Well, any computer's security is about zero when you have physical access to it, so it's really a nonissue.

Besides, who carries around a boot disk?

Er... I do actually :D
    i'm sorry to laugh at your trouble, zef, but that is a great prank!

*on the floor searching for my ass*

:D
  • zefzef
    edited 6:53PM
    To be honnest: I was wrong informing everybody. Since it seems you CAN change the keyboard layout at log in with the flag thingy. (don't know how I came to the conclusion it didn't work?! Dr. Alzheimer I propose?)

Anyway, I tried it 6 different times today changing the language from Kuakahillibilly over Pattabazandjandran to Traditional Chinese. Before entering my password I changed it to back to Belgian (my native tongue in cheeck) and ... Jimmy Hendrickx!* I could log in! ...Yesss Sirrr!
    When you try this in aXPi it'll take you 8 steps. In OS X just 1 (one)

*-you can replace with Dear God, Holy shit, Jesus, Humphrey Bogaert or T.A.F.K.A.P. But I realy prefer Jimmy-