Participate in the biggest mobilization of Citizens Against Global Warming!

edited February 2007 in conversations
The 1st of February 2007:

Participate in the biggest mobilization of Citizens Against Global Warming!

The Alliance for the Planet [a group of environmental associations] is calling on all citizens to create 5 minutes of electrical rest for the planet. Http://www.lalliance.fr

People all over the world should turn off their lights and electrical appliances on the first of February 2007, between 1.55 pm and 2.00 pm in New York, 18.55 for London, and 19.55 for Paris, Bruxelles, and Italy. 1.55pm in Ottawa, 10.55am on the Pacific Coast of North America.

This is not just about saving 5 minutes worth of electricity; this is about getting the attention of the media, politicians, and ourselves.

Five minutes of electrical down time for the planet: this does not take long, and costs nothing, and will show all political leaders that global warming is an issue that needs to come first and foremost in political debate.

Why February 1? This is the day when the new UN report on global climate change will come out inParis.

This event affects us all, involves us all, and provides an occasion to show how important an issue global warming is to us. If we all participate, this action can have real media and political weight.

Please circulate this call to your utmost ability to your network.

Comments

• edited 10:20AM
    I'm undecided on this whole global warming thing... on the one hand, yes it could be the end of the world, on the other, it's january (well feb now) and i'm wearing a t-shirt and quite like the temperature ;)
    lol jamm!

i don't think that scheme like this really have much of an effect on anything. it's a bit like those email circulars re: don't buy your petrol from "insert particular petrol company here". it's a shame, because it's all good intentions.

but anyway, every little helps :)
    it's funny, though, what can get people involved.

"Global Warming" is such a huge thing; it's overwhelming to try and take it all in, much less feel like any measures you take have an impact.

small gestures are a start. :) i'm participating (unless the bedamned power company does it FOR me, and the juice goes toes up again today, like it did yesterday). heh
  • edited February 2007
    Hell, it's only 5 minutes. If it can make a few people think about it and make some changes themselves in their own lives then it's well worth the effort.

What is much more helpful is the constant talk of it in the news in the UK right now - and education. Then we need the powers that be to take control of the situation, to at the very least offer us and future generations a freakin hope.
    I did it. It was fun and eerie, because I was listening to my iPod in the dark (hey, it is battery powered, it don't count ok!) and at random, a song about saving the world came on just as I cut off the power. Incrediblt enough, the song lasted for 5 minutes. After I switched the lights back on, the next rndom song that came on was Audioslave, Light My Way. That was spooky in a cool way.
  • edited February 2007
    Yay, jussi! That's well freaky about the song.

Did you get the time right? Ours is scheduled for 5 minutes from now. I'm looking forward to that eerie feeling myself - with my laptop charged serving as my clock and my nightlight. :D
    5 minutes over. It's amazing how much white noise we put up with, silence is kind of deafening. That was great fun - in a kind of creepy and thought provoking way.
    as it goes, a trip switch went and i didn't realise (was outside), i did a full 23 mins of absolutely no power at all (i hope you kept your freezers closed)
    now i've put the computer on and shall leave it torrenting for hours on end whilst i go and work downstairs and listen to the radio.
    it wasn't much diff than usual, but i liked thinking that people all over the world were doing it, too.

it's like that fantasy of everyone flushing the toilet at once.

ish :D
    i bet q was taking his chances during the "5 minutes of energy saving" to do "5 minutes of procreating" ;)