RAL to CMYK color - urgent

QQ
edited August 2007 in advice
i m rather doomed here and i have little time.
Is there an app or can anyone convert RAL color 9010 to a proper CMYK or pantone equivalent?

no guessing or try this or that coz it has to be rather perfect.
so.. hoping for the best. :nausea:

Comments

• edited 7:35AM
    Good luck, Q.

I've had this problem before and my only solution was to visually compare the two swatches.
  • edited August 2007
    CMYK values here:
    http://30pro.de/support/ral-colors.pdf
    Very useful indeed, McKs.

I dont know about Q, but I actually wanted a metallic pantone code.

Still, book marked anyway :wink:
    Thx I too have come across this issue before.
  • QQ
    edited 7:35AM
    thanks guys ;) the pdf is a great help indd.

the color 9003 translates as CMYK 0 0 0 0 ..

I also found pc software (def. no help) to convert RAL's to CMYK etc.. but since its a one time occasion, i will ask for a color proof of a few color samples.

~ saves the pdf
    Can you get a piece of the metal or whatever which is already painted? Then match with a metallic swatch. Voila !
    heh - we use ral 9006 / 7 and that's about it

not big on colour here
    9006 silver here as well !
    9006 is white aluminium from memory
  • RAL 9010 is very neary white, hence the 0000 cmyk value. The name in my ral swatch book is "Reinwieß", translates to "pure white" in English.
    Comparing my RAL guide with my Pantone guide the closest I get is Pantone Cool Gray 1C. In the mix that is:

0.28 parts pantone black,
    0.18 parts pantone 072 blue
    99.60 parts pantone transparent white.

I'd say the right mix is even less black and blue and maybe a little yellow, but not as much as the warm grays have. What are you printing on? The paper color is probably pretty close.
  • QQ
    the whole thing is to be printed on the sides of a couple of trucks.

However, since the trucks are older, instead of letters and shapes to be put on the sides, it has been decided to cover the whole side of the truck.
    However, the trucks are not entirely white (ref the RAL9010 color). So the white parts on the design, which will be printed, need to more or less similar to the color of the truck.

example:
    truck
    now I'm confused, you mention both 9003 and 9010. first is pure white, and thus translates to 0 0 0 0
    9010 is slightly off-white and translates to 0 0 5 0.
  • QQ
    yeah well.. i wasnt exactly sure for 9010 and 9003.. it's really a close call.

Since the truck label inside mentioned a color designed for Volvo (not a ral standard number) so i just picked the RAL color from a RAL book from one of our suppliers
    urbansurgeon:9006 is white aluminium from memory
    you are correct Urban. Thats the correct name for it but it is silver in appearance!
    i work in large format printing and i'd say that printing is a waiste of time, just cut it out in vinyl and you're good to go. the white RAL color doesn't print and if it does you're crazy to accept it imo...

good luck!
  • QQ
    livepulse:i work in large format printing and i'd say that printing is a waiste of time, just cut it out in vinyl and you're good to go. the white RAL color doesn't print and if it does you're crazy to accept it imo...

good luck!
    i agree on that but the picture of the truck(s) doesnt really give a good impression. the sides are full of scratches and tear after years of use.
    Second, if we remove the existing stuff and and put the new design on it in cut-out vinyl, there were it doesnt overlap, there will be huge differences as to: no scratches and a clean shiny surface.

So thats why we thought a total cover of the areas would be better instead of only partially covering the areas. Then again, the price is rather expensive even.

Lets hope for the best ;)