The good morning thread

Comments

• fought my boss (GM of the hotel) tooth & nail to work from home... she's in her 80s, but doesn't seem to care about her own well-being, or that of the hotel guests? good times.

also, hello.

• Hey slater! Keep safe, yo 😎

the uk is doing things a little differently...

saying that, loads of unis have already gone to remote/closed, so the gubernant will probably have to change their tune soon heh

• Number of cancellations at the 'ôtel just in the last five hours: 12. All for reservations in the next 6 weeks.

We're a small hotel, Euro tourists can't come over cos Orange Berk blocked Schengen folks from US entry (something something stopped clock something), but still... we might have to close a few days. Not that terrible per se, but we have some employees as hourlies (so no money for them), and the hotel owners are money-grubbing super-boomers who basically have heart attacks any time I don't manage to have 100% occupancy. They vaaaguely, very grudgingly sorta-get that this whole thing is a wee bit unprecedented, but will still argue the toss

• And now, with all the cancellations we've received, next week for the first time in my five years working at the hotel, we have a few days where we're empty. GG.

• Morning, morning!

Hey @slater – there's chaos all-round, innit!

My sister's been told to self-isolate – well, told not to go into work or use public transport – not cause she's got it but she's one of those with 'under-lying health issues' (she's got CLL)…

• hope you're all survivin', yo! these are some tough times, for sure, especially on the old mental health front.

• Still breathing!

• Still breathing!

• Still breathing!

• ok, that didn't work as well as i'd expected, stupid quotes.

i'm now working from home forever, after being told a couple of weeks ago that it was unworkable (i'm pretty glad i didn't hand my notice in to contract at the time hoowhee!)

but now my wife and i are working from home full time, whilst homeschooling 4 kids - please keep us in your thoughts :D

plus side? i get to do even more stupid hair shit than normal!

• It’s Saturday by the way. I thought I’d put that out there as it’s getting hard to tell 😂

• We closed the hotel I manage until April 7th.

The CEO (over 80, but not senile, quite sprightly, etc.) yesterday told me we should re-open on April 20th. AKA, in the yank dating scheme, 4/20. Which, lol, guffaw, chortle, San Francisco, weed, jazz cabbage, yolo, blazit

Anyway here's a fun song with quite nonsensical Spanish and English lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUO9SNCBL6U

• Morning!

Hehe @sock love the barnet (real or not!)…

We'll think of you. They might not just be deaths from virus at this time but family murders! And a few divorces! Fingers crossed for the 20th then (or the 13th here).

I've had a quite a bit of work cancelled, with expectations of more but yes, in a sense, I'm working from home too, was before but more so after last night's announcement by Doris…!

• Real or not?! Here’s a pic from two days ago with some fresh hair cuttings still on my face...

• edited March 2020

also, good luck slater! more concerned over your boomer boss' attitudes than the covid, in all honesty! 😆

• Yo...

I assure you that the architects of time and space continue to issue truckloads of drama strictly reserved for my life on which as you all know I usually report here.

Firstly it gives me cheer to read that everyone is coping with no Covid-19 with no known fatalities either friends or family.

I only this week found out that a very dear old friend of mine had passed away several years ago. As expected I'm gutted to have only this found out now. Life happens and we eventually lost contact with each other.

Each of you would have liked her. She was from a very very very strict Muslim background. It's not my intention to sling mud here but she was born in UK and was here until her teens. BUT the culture her family expected her to abide by was rejected by her. The film "East is East" is as near as I can describe what she told me. One day, in her early teens, she thought she was going on a holiday to her parent's fatherland...NIGHTMARE...she got there, delivered to a village in the middle of nowhere and was married off. I truly cannot recall the exact details pertaining to her escaped back to UK but she escaped.

Back in UK, shunned by some of her family, and kept as a secret by those that would speak to he,r she overcame incredible hurdles placed before her and finally realised her dream to become a performer. She had a top ten hit around 1984 and was huge in Germany and Holland.

During the time we spent together two nieces of hers had run away to escape a "holiday" where they knew they were going to be forced to marry. They were only 14 & 15 years old then. Quiet darlings. She used to call them her "mice" as they were so quiet and shy. She saved them from a nightmare life a life she knew only too well. She lied to the police, family members about any knowledge of their whereabouts and secured them name changes, accommodation and places at colleges.

She taught me how to swear in Gujarati, make real Chai and how cold fish curry with rice was an excellent breakfast on hot days.

She was spellbinding. She was and is still my hero. Sabiha Kara R.I.P

And

And

One love my lovelies xxx's

• Morning fluckers!

Sorry to hear about your old friend @Black Window (she is/was cute)…

Hehe ^

…which reminds me, must change my underwear tomorrow!! 😁

• Morning peeps.

#stayhome #staysafe #stopwearingunderwear

• y'all are a bunch of fucking pussies for not openly fighting at yay with those chodes night and day! pussies!

wow, crazy times. i've been looking around to see how people are going - i hope none of you are sick. or get sick.

we have two relatives in the hospital in spain and it's not looking good. my friends in nyc have been mega sick and could never get tested! oi vey...

quiet over here. we have a weird guilty paranoid feeling about all of this - only five cases here and we're living the privileged life. this can't really continue, right? we're doomed at some point. i'll probably be dead tomorrow. oh well...

best to you guys!

vaska

• hi CPU! hi vask!

i have a curated, minimal, ignore list running at yay, and it seems to work for me ;)

hope you keep well, my man! have you had any further thoughts on any type of evacuation? i know you'd mentioned spain, but i'd have to say i have 'some reservations' about that currently hehe

everyone, please stay at home! i think i'm about to take the kids out for a cycle, though, so there's that.

• edited March 2020

edited: i did that for nearly a year and a half and was still trolled/harassed out of there but you probably don't remember that. don't really feel safe even discussing it here. i'm shocked every time i go back there the amount of fighting from just a few people.

we are really at the whim of local government - if they think we need to go, we go. right now, we want to stay and i think the situation so far (fingers crossed) is far less intense than in europe. it's insanely quiet - which is why i'm popping up in different message places (a little lonely, but feel mostly feel positive about things generally). we were supposed to fly to spain this friday for a month - not even possible.

we have an uncle who died of the virus a couple days ago. and, one who will recover or not before the end of this week. i had two friends in nyc who were very ill since february but because it was so early they could not get tested at all. a group of them all got sick from the same party and one person at the party died. they are just now feeling mostly better.

i would guess that people who live out in the countryside are probably a bit relieved about things...

• edited March 2020

Morning! Hi @CPU, @Vaska

Umm, I was toying with signing up to Yay but reading this, I think I'll give it a miss for now!! Sounds like the same shit I've been seeing on [insert social media platform]: bullies, overly woke hypocrites or knobs who share a gene pool with Trump?

I think you'll be safe here @Vaska, I think we can all, from what I remember of the busier times, have grown-up conversations about stuff…

On Corona-isolation: chatting with a few friends via zoom last night, one mentioned how he was still going out sketching sometimes but not posting it on Instagram, as he might normally, because of the 'abuse' he'd seen others suffer – I know him well enough, so know he'll be safe and 'responsible' (he's started sketching in a graveyard! The memorials…) so didn't feel any need to lecture him – but we'll all know people who'll be dicks(?) at one extreme or other; they're the ones to worry about?

I was in the Supermarket this morning and people still aren't 'obeying' the 2-metre rule – this is probably the most 'dangerous' place we're going at present!?!? Most of us…

😁

#ireadthattoolate #cleanskidson

Not sure why I felt the need to 'quotes' quite so much! 🤗

• edited March 2020

…and sorry to hear about your uncle @Vaska (and friends in NYC).

• no, don't go there. if you want to be sucked into other peoples fighting problems...because if they choose you to attack you can never escape it (even with ignore on). after many years, i only recently talked to some yay folks (elsewhere) about it. now, i'm just kind of pissed off...instead of hurt...but i have no inkling to be in their fights. crimony...

i have been wondering a little bit lately about how social media could be used against people in a time like this. if you have photos from a party or in a place you aren't supposed to be - you could be found out. which is totally what many of those futuristic films have shown us. is 'privacy' going to change rather quickly because of corona? i have been wondering if travel with require a physical, a note from a doctor and an app connected to a global database all about you. shudder

i heard of somebody walking their dog with a drone, too.

cheers

• scally (France dweller) posted a photo of the forms they are required to fill out and carry with them whilst outside.

polive here are stopping cars to check that the journey is ‘necessary’ (I’ve not been stopped, it’s probably VERY few in reality).

• A friend (who's Greek), was telling me his family back home have to send at text message to the powers that be before they can go out of the house (and have to wait for a response); they use a number to identify if they're wanting to shop, exercise or… walk the dog, I think!

But now for some light relief…

And, if it's a new day when you read this…

MORNING!

• peak, you can use my (yh) login if you want a look in there?

lol @ vid! who the hell would have 4 kids in a lockdown? 😂

• Yes, who'd have four kids… madness!! 😉

Cheers @sock, I might just (the offer)…

@Vaska – whether formally it might happen, but there's certainly a fair bit of little-big-brother going on!

The Police (some forces) here were getting warned this past couple of days not to over-apply, over police the 'restrictions' (I'm doing it 'again' – sorry! 😁); and some of that was directed at a force monitoring people via drone and then posting it online, with post and graphics…!

• Hello?

I hope you're all well?!

• Good day to you :)

worked until about 2am this morning (not all day though, just started late 😎)

• Been doing these for quite a few days now, thank fook the weather is holding strong 😂

• Evening!

Lovely shot – and yes great weather for it! Should be nice at the… do we still say week-end in this new reality!? 😁

• edited April 2020

Afternoon!

…my car's died! Not sure yet if it succumbed to Coronavirus but it definitely had a cough, followed by organ failure.

😫 😪

• Oh no! Garages are open though, and I’m sure they would appreciate the work right about now!

• things are quiet and peaceful here. i have no idea what is really happening in reality any more - but the headlines sure look bad. i'm sure i'll be dead by next week.

i have a friend in athens (greece) who has a special permit to be out walking dogs (he works at an animal shelter). friends in nyc telling me that around their house, pre-corona, there were 24 bodegas. now, there is just one that is open. they go out quite often for bike rides (exercise) around the empty city.

i hope the world changes for the better after this is out of the system - but the way things go these days i'm sure it will be much worse.

• I’d be more than happy to not go back to the old ‘normal’, for real.

• I think it's the afternoon but I can't be sure!

Yes! The mechanic at the garage was talking about how everyone has just disappeared – they're looking to close/furlough at the end of the week!

Change, let's hope so…

• edited April 2020

The California governor basically closed down the state until ~May 3rd, so that's fun.

The hotel I managed is closed at least till then, got on the dole but they're super-overworked for some reason, got ~$450 coming my way per week which... isn't nothing? Though I'm guessing the local conservatives and libertarians are frothing at the mouth re: OMG SLACKERS, MUH TAXES!!~1

And today the only vaguely Euro-Leftist, Bernie Sanders, dropped out of the presidential race. So it's gonna be either President Biden, or four more years of bigotry and hatred and "fu, got mine, die plz"

• man, so many things/industries are going to be decimated. today i read that OYO, the largest hotel chain in the world, was laying off 50% of their workers. maybe it was higher?

turd president said very early on in this crisis that restaurants might close, but they will open again possibly with new management. so, you can see what his ilk is thinking already. this is just another economic opportunity to buy a distressed/bankrupt company on the cheap.

which is what the world needs, right? fuck...how can you not rant about this shit? it feels awful, too.

• Oh yeah, the vulture capitalists are circling, no doubt!

FRIIIIIDAAAAAYYYYYYY! Long weekend, too :)

• edited April 2020

Morning!

Yes!

Have you heard, apparently Jacob Rees-Mogg's investment firm (for those across the water – he's a knob British MP!) have said the current crisis is "a once in a generation opportunity for super normal [whatever that is] returns"!!

Sounds good @slater, the financial support, hope its enough; the hotel should be able to bounce back after this though, once the tourists return?

…the reports coming out of NY yesterday (in our news) were quite shocking. Must admit, I've been trying to limit my exposure to the news.

• Guys, Monday was Tuesday, and even that already happened! Hope you’re keeping yourselves safe, big love on a Wednesday 😘

• Hang on a minute...

It’s fucking Thursday!!!1!!!