the great big packaging design thread

Comments

• edited 9:58PM
    I know some of the Kshocolat stuff has already been posted, did you know they've gone tits :(

tits up? no wai!
    :depressed:
    Yep, they were one of the top five cool choccy companies and the recession saw them off. :(
    more moonshine packaging, this time from ole smoky
    old smokey moonshine packaging design
    wine packaging design
    'alternative' organic wine packaging designed by the creative method.

quite like this, fun and quirky. interesting concept, but perhaps not the right direction for a wine.
    There's only one real direction for wine, and that's in my belly.
  • edited March 2011
    chris said...orange fruit wrapper
    orange fruit wrapper
    Wrappers Delight
    is an exhibition that displays the collection of orange fruit wrappers found by the studio member Rose Reeves (over the past 8 years) who explains “Like most graphic designers we have always, in an unconscious fashion, collected items of graphic ephemera and mostly by unknown designers. This action often becomes a more conscious obsession as time goes on and leads to an unexpected collection which you and others can then attach a great deal of fondness and value to.”
    Visually the wrappers have a unique charm, featuring everything from spirograph patterns, eagles, zebras and horses in clashing colours.
    i started collect friut wrapper about 10yrs ago. bout time i did something with them.
    just need to get around to doing something with them.

EDIT: oops, lost some text there. while i wish i could say these were fruit wrappers i collected, they are not. I do have a big wrinkled collection that i need to do something with, but i posted these as examples of what can be done with my favorite packaging. they are by collage artist jane maxwell.
    most of her i first ran across used fruit wrappers or fruit box labels as a major component, as in the first pic. the second is one of her pieces that i am lucky enough to own, although it doesn't use any fruit wrappers, it does use a lot of packaging.
    so there you have it.

Jane Maxwell
    Jane
    oOoo definitely! get them framed, for starters. then open a gallery and hang them in it ;)
  • chris said...oOoo definitely! get them framed, for starters. then open a gallery and hang them in it ;)
    see above edit.
    Really love those Wrapper Delight ones. I'm a sucker for concentric lines/patterns.
    yesyes! Red, that's very cool work. you should iron your wrappers and get going!

click for bigger
    brewers & union
    retro packaging for Freia by Tangram Design
  • edited April 2011
    wine powder packaging
    wine powder packaging

now, i didn't even know you could buy powdered wine... but i thought that this kind of faux super-cork thing would be good even with a bottle of wine inside. quirky, at least.
  • edited April 2011
    draplin old packaging design reference

The images above are stills from Level Mag's Show and Tell with Portland's renowned graphic designer, Aaron Draplin of Draplin Design Co.

Filmed by Jared Sourney whilst video-documenting Draplin for a snowboard website, the clip shows, "a guided peak into the big man’s drawers of dirty delights"!

Watch the full video here.

nice to see that others also collect what most people would call random crap, as deign reference ;)
    some more old-style packaging design, along the lines of the moonshine stuff earlier...

noble handcrafted goods packaging design
    noble handcrafted goods packaging design

"Noble Handcrafted is a brand that embraces the collaboration of craft with the pioneering of our new American food tradition, a tradition that is being continually redefined. Artisan Craftsmen, boutique producers, sustainable farms and innovative chefs are the foundation for this growing line of mall-batch, quality-focused ingredients that will surprise, delight and inspire the most seasoned culinary afficionados. Noble is the result of dedicated and passionate people doing what they love. We hope that you will find the same joy and pleasure in these products as we do."

via the dieline
  • edited April 2011
    williams warn brewery and packaging design and ident

“The WilliamsWarn is the world’s first personal brewery. It produces commercial quality beer, chilled and straight from the tap in just 7 days. The packaging images were for the range of Liquid Malt Extract sold in conjunction with the machine. The idea behind the design was to carry through the aesthetics and simplicity of the machine with a premium feel.”

Eight years in the making the WilliamsWarn is the worlds first personal brewery. Commercial quality chilled beer straight from the tap in just 7 days with minimum effort.

Studio Alexander has developed the strategy, language, naming and premium visual approach. All this delivered through e-commerce website, 2 short films, stationery and packaging.
    crosspost'd
    absolut svea bottle
    Now we want to take a brand journey back to the home market for Absolut
    , and create something that reinforces the origin of the brand. The cooperation with Fredrik feels like the perfect match. He created a story filled with mystic and a unique expression for Absolut SVEA
    power to the people

from Shirah Wine Co
    ., a small California-based winery that sources premium fruit from Californian vineyards to produce very exclusive kosher wines - one of the few wineries that specialize in this niche offering.

Miller Creative was called upon to create an elegant, yet powerful look for the wine, which has full-bodied fruit flavors and a complex character. We thought the name "Power to the People", evoked old propaganda posters. A bold fist crushing grapes in its grip sits in the center, with the classic propaganda rays and Soviet-style typography. Various visual references to wine and Judaism embellish this intricate label."

think global, taste local
    limited edition olive oil packaging design
    As part of the initiative Think Global Taste Local which aims to showcase the best gastronomic products from small regional companies from around the world NTGJ a packaging and brand design studio based in Lisbon, Portugal designed a limited edition set of olive oils that captures the unique characteristics of Spain, Italy and Portugal in an individually distinctive yet unified collection.

For me what really stands out is how well these three uniquely illustrated products have been worked together into a single piece of packaging. The use of warm tones is a clever visual cue that isolates the key environmental factor (the climate needed for growing olives) unifying products sourced from different countries. The outer box brings the illustrations neatly together in a patch work style and framing them with a black border that delivers as sense of exclusivity, luxury and quality.
    Izola Maritime Soap packaging design

packaging design photographic shoot layout
    packaging design for TDC

some pretty neat looking packaging design from mega. i know, i know, it's a render, but still... nice and clean, along the lines of apple, and without any superfluous logos
    Denmark’s first telephone company, TDC, started out in 1881 with just 22 customers. Today, the company has more than 15.5 million customers and offers everything from traditional landlines to mobile telecommunications and internet solutions.
    Mega worked with TDC to upgrade their identity with a fresh look.
    ink free packaging design chocolate
    Bite Me, 100% ink free (other than the ink on the back, surely?) package design by Vasily Kassab.
    ink free packaging design chocolate
    doesn't look very appetising! (just what you want with health foods though, the hippies will dig it).
  • edited June 2011

Wingfield Brothers Inc

Degree project. A hypothetical company which make products based on wordplay.
    Because everyone loves puns, right?
    I got a kick out of this wine label analysis.
    ...while you can go on the Internet and find very detailed wheel-based charts for wine aromas and tastes, there is woefully little label categorization.

the types of labels are discussed in more depth at Grub Street
    saxtons apple and pear cider packaging design
    Design Director / Piri Tukere.
    Design Team / Bradley Rogerson / Craig McColl / James Duthie / Kate Hughes.
    Client / Woolworths Australia
    saxtons apple and pear cider packaging designsaxtons apple and pear cider packaging design
    vintage packaging at the goodwood revival

various vintage packaging at the goodwood revival (they have a vintage tesco store there! man, i hate tesco...) :D
  • edited September 2011
    awesome nail packaging concept via Sylvain Allard !

nail packaging design concept
    tequila bottle packaging design
    Lovely packaging for Creencias designed by YuJo! Creatividad Aplicada.
    i would totally slam some of that right now.
    love that nail packaging
    mexican wrestling mask beer bottle packaging design
    Cervecería Sagrada

Lucha Libre is one of the most iconic symbols of Mexican popular culture, and has been exported as part of the country's identity.

I created the concept, brand, and designed the identity and packaging for this premium Mexican craft beer.
    The brand's identity is inspired by the golden era of lucha in the 1950's, when movie heroes were not Superman or the X Men, but El Santo and his wingmen, fighting creepy monsters on a silver '52 Alfa Romeo with surf music in the background.

The variety of styles are named after fictional characters also inspired by the 50's lucha style; Black King (Imperial Stout), Blond Gomez (Lager) and The Vampire's Son (Red Ale).
    heiko would love those!
    The (ex) furniture maker but of me is in love with that nail packaging... I'd have never got any work done though!

oof:!: isn't it.

"Big Jug"
    of Pure Organic Maple Syrup
    Vendor: North Family Farms
  • packaging sunshine :)

• oof, I should say so <3 that coke can
  • The wine labels are great. I can't believe how many unique things that everyone is finding on this thread.
  • hi winepine!
  • i think i may have posted this one already, but...

and,
  • ^ that second one is so rad!

http://www.marnich.com