FBI remotely installs spyware to trace bomb threat

edited July 2007 in conversations
The FBI used a novel type of remotely installed spyware last month to investigate who was e-mailing bomb threats to a high school near Olympia, Wash.

Federal agents obtained a court order on June 12 to send spyware called CIPAV to a MySpace account suspected of being used by the bomb threat hoaxster. Once implanted, the software was designed to report back to the FBI with the Internet Protocol address of the suspect's computer, other information found on the PC and, notably, an ongoing log of the user's outbound connections.
news.com

What I'd like to know is if there are BackDoors in the OS, AntiVirus apps or Firewalls... or in all of them?

Comments

• edited 11:24PM
    Yawns... Checks out his new fake mac addy... Looks at Chicken and thinks .. (He's still Paranoid, but not as bad as a few years ago).. :tongue:
    I've also installed spyware on the FBI's computer.
    blueshead:Yawns... Checks out his new fake mac addy... Looks at Chicken and thinks .. (He's still Paranoid, but not as bad as a few years ago).. :tongue:
    well you never know these days, do you. I mean.... the FBI could install a trojan on my Mac if I didn't stop posting bomb threats on a lesbian Christian Creationist forum that I found via Google a couple of weeks ago.
    chicken:
    blueshead:Yawns... Checks out his new fake mac addy... Looks at Chicken and thinks .. (He's still Paranoid, but not as bad as a few years ago).. :tongue:
    well you never know these days, do you. I mean.... the FBI could install a trojan on my Mac if I didn't stop posting bomb threats on a lesbian Christian Creationist forum that I found via Google a couple of weeks ago.

Aha! So that was you! We are sending Big Betty over there to deal with you. It was nice knowing you...