Pan's Labyrinth

edited July 2007 in conversations
Official website

Has anybody seen this bizarre but wonderful film?

I watched it last night and it is fantastic. The most gruesome Cert 15 I have ever seen !

Oh, and its Spanish with English subtitles.

Comments

• edited 6:19AM
    I saw it at the cinema. I love it. You shoud also watch Devil's Backbone by the same director. Also Spanish with English subtitles. Think the first one is an 18. It's a lot more disturbing, but really good. He's done another one aswell, but I can't think what it's called.
    Thanks Idio, I'll try and get it tonight :wink:
    OMG ... i so want to see this movie!
    A friend of mine picked it up for £7 in Borders (UK)
    also, pan's labyrinth = £4.99 (delivered) from play.com
    damn - it was £5.99 at hmv, oh well. great movie yes, loved it, gruesome yes
    a superb movie i saw at the cinema.
    and yes some extreme scenes there, not for the faint of heart...
    I knew it was cheap. I might buy it myself now !

Cheers for the heads up Chris
    it is a very violent film, seen it on a film festival last winter.
    enjoyed it very much. scans more like live theatre than film in the storytelling, mostly, and yes, violent, but so were the times - it's a violence that sets the characters in the atmosphere of the story, not the gratuitous for-it's-own-sake type. worth seeing.
    By far one of my favourite films! Wonderfully imaginative and simultaneously heart wrenching.
    Agreed. Very well made as well.
    oh well, I have to watch it now :tongue:
    there's not many foreign films i can watch with the subtitles and natural language, but this was one
    I actually preferred Devil's Backbone to Pan's Labyrinth... but, both are great in their own rights.

Definitely worth the high NYC price of admission!
    i was so pleased that the level of fantasy vs reality was where it was with pan's l

are the others more toward one way or another. i.e. fantasy films vs historically situated emotional and cerebral drama? the latter would be much more attractive than the former
    Devil's Backbone Trailer

I would say this one sits both in the fantasy world, and the reality of historically (plausible) events.
    That's what I really loved about Pan's - the split realities without favouring one or the other. And the thing that still leaves me feeling all teary eyed is the thought that, although never made explicit by the director, the fantastical elements in the little girls world were likely conjured up as a mechanism to deal with the horror that surrounded her.

The trailer for Devil's Backbone looks great. Another I'll have to get a hold of.
    that Guillermo Del Toro Collection isn't available on amazon.ca can I only get it in europe? blah. pay as much for the shipping as the movie.
    i wonder if i can hobble along someplace to view a very extended trailer ... ?
    Pans was fucking great...funny thhing was when i first started watching i thought it was~ quoting the Hudsucker Proxy
    "you know for kids"...found out very fast it wasn't...loved the movie...and im just like middigit when it comes to foreign films
    urbansurgeon:i wonder if i can hobble along someplace to view a very extended trailer ... ?
    I'm going to view a very extended trailer tonight (wink, wink)
    Make sure the quality of your 'extended trailer' is purrrfect, it'd be a shame to watch any of these films with reduced quality. I watched it through my Xbox 360 with HD leads and the upscaled version was fantastic. Almost HD.
    squapple:Make sure the quality of your 'extended trailer' is purrrfect, it'd be a shame to watch any of these films with reduced quality. I watched it through my Xbox 360 with HD leads and the upscaled version was fantastic. Almost HD.
    I know what you mean... I still haven't watched it and the *trailer* is not perfect but very good quality. I'm not picky, my internet connection is :D