Portfolio for interview

edited July 2007 in conversations
hey kids,

have an interview coming up next friday and it's been years since I've had to do such a thing. I really do not want to lug in the old skool black zippered folio for finished pieces. I do have a PDF I've been sending with samples and my CV but seeing as this will be "in person" I wanted to get an idea of what the world uses these days.

I've been thinking of a bound book with photoshots sort of like the kinds you can have made from iPhoto and all of the photo joints, but that doesn't do much for touch and feel of the final piece, nor does it show all of the piece.

so... a little help, thoughts, suggestions appreciated. TIA

Comments

• edited 3:47AM
    i'm still old school - though i'm down to a compressed A2 from the A1 i used to have
    last i used was an a2 folio, as already stated.
    great, thanks!
    The last ones I had, a few months back, I actually built a easy click through html set of pages... carried it on my USB key, and brought the laptop just in case. Of course, I had some videos I wanted to show, so, it made sense to do so.
  • edited July 2007
    hmm, good question, i've been thinking the same - the picture of this is crap, but the idea I like:

art portfolio

That way you can drop in a finished brochure in one of the openings and or if you have identity work you coul d mount that stuff on a black thin gatorboard that fits the sleeve dimensions - thus pieces are protected, but can be pulled out and handled. Perhaps design an "about this piece" that includes how involved you were, any special circumstances, if it won any awards, etc. maybe mounted on a black thin gatorboard on the left side. OH and of course design something for the cover that that handwritten crap they have in the picture.

This is at least manageable in size to tote along w/o being like the old 22x28 or larger boards of old.
    I've used those before. I dunno, got turned off of them because alot of my art got stuck to the plastic if it was hot out.

I really like the idea of the photo books. you can get them pretty big now as well for quite a variety of costs, and some will allow a substantial amount of print so you can get soem good captions/descriptions as well if you like.

I've been thinking about it for a while to show off my photos in booths at local fairs and stuff like that. like having the majority of my photos in books like that and having a few hanging behind me and people would be able to order prints or whatever. better then keeping alot of prints on hand.
    wormsnot:I've used those before. I dunno, got turned off of them because alot of my art got stuck to the plastic if it was hot out.
    good point - keep in cool dry place if you go this route. I probably will because i like handling pieces - that's the whole point of printed stuff! mmm paper.
    When I applied for college I got told that your best to have an A2 portfolio. So where everything else is being made smaller, it seems size matters with art. I'm guessing I'm the youngest here (at 18) and so hopefully that's a useful insight.
    18?! Whippersnapper ;)

I'd say stick with the A2 folio, especially if you have finished product. Hard to get a feel for it if your prospective employer can't see/feel your work at its actual size.

One other tip, only put your best work, leave out stuff that is filler material (i understand this, because i have about 12 years of filler material and 4 of decent stuff :D)
    Pace yourself when showing stuff.

Dont spend too much time explaining etc on one piece and then next to no time on the other. If you do this the client might think
    "well why the fuck is it in here you daft cunt" or words to that effect.

Make sure each piece is interleafed with a sheet of tracing/baking paper. Adds to the "curiosity factor" of what is comming next and
    also makes the client focus on what is being shown without them starying onto what might be peeping out behind/infront of what you are showing.

Final thought, when explaining things make hand gestureswhen poinitng to detail etc but include gestures with your palm upwards, subconciously the clinet will think you
    are open/nothing to hide and most of all eager and captivated by the subject you designed for.

All the best

vortexual :wink:
    All very good points ^!
    Flash Soldier:The last ones I had, a few months back, I actually built a easy click through html set of pages... carried it on my USB key, and brought the laptop just in case. Of course, I had some videos I wanted to show, so, it made sense to do so.
    yeah, but you're a "flash soldier!" hehe

thanks again to you all... great points vort
    also, wear a short skirt and tight top.
    Ooh! And fishnets!!

Plus I just got a big padded bra and instantly got a job in a betting shop. I'd like to think it was for my intelligence . . .
    vortexual:Final thought, when explaining things make hand gestures when poinitng to detail etc but include gestures with your palm upwards, subconciously the clinet will think you are open/nothing to hide and most of all eager and captivated by the subject you designed for.
    i like to unzip my fly and present with my balls on the table. this shows that you are confident but not too "cocky". :D
    hehe. Thats so you Nim !
    i ditched the plastic inner sleeve approach and dry mounted everything on thin but stiff beermat card

i did this because even mediocre work looks great flat mounted (this is especially true of linework on white paper - which i have a fair bit of)