the great big advertising thread

Comments

• edited 11:53AM
    you know, this ad is all over the internets.

it should be here,too.

i was very entertained by it.

Write The Future (Nike)
    Uh Oh!
    kia soul hamster advert
    Love the hamsters! ;) but i'd rather drive a large appliance.

i'll try again with the Nike football ad; maybe this one will stick since it was put up by the ad agency.

ok, i lol'd at the 'wayne' baby name tags (what a silly name).

((sorry to all you waynes out there)
    ^ removed by user

a series of ads for Novartis (an Alzhiemers's drug) are a little sappy, overdone, and actually pretty effective at emotion-grabbing.

site is flash (notice my sloppy screenshot technique), but worth a look:

link
    Pilot extra-fine pens:

these are delightfully clever.

lots more to see at ufunk
    this is a "viral" attempt... it's supposedly promoting some kind of vitamin water ( i thought it was going to be shoes, but was informed otherwise).

:) doesn't keep me from enjoying the moves...

i like that very much. it's from the US/Colorado, i think.

this might be the best non-flash "brand experience" I’ve seen so far.

clickit the pic
    instead of signage, why not just display your inventory?

A bicycle shop in Altlandsberg, Germany advertises their goods with a wall of around 120 bikes mounted on the building’s exterior in lieu of a sign.
    chris said...
    Interesting, curious ...were did that come from chris?

~ steals, repost elsewhere....
    Adbusters? (looking at the file name?)
    unsourced, dude :)
    chris said...unsourced, dude :)
    okay :)
    i do try to link up most of the stuff i post, but what can you do, eh? :D
    try typing all those words into a browser and adding ".com" at the end
  • edited August 2010
    chris said...i do try to link up most of the stuff i post, but what can you do, eh? :D
    I know, I'm terrible for doing the same ...I shall have get off my ass and use Google :)
  • edited August 2010
    Not had chance to give it a proper read yet but found this blog post on the ^

I kind of liked it for the moment I first saw it and then you start to pick holes, which I guess is what's happening in the post. Anyway...

Anyone remember the campaign for real beauty stuff from a few years ago...
    ^concurs with the blog
  • edited August 2010
    i think the blog post raises some valid points, but does it in such a way as to make the blogger look a tad self-righteous and a little more boring than the "artist" who created the billboard "rant".

but hey, blogging is pretty difficult, so i'm going to cut him some slack.
    awww.... seems like a young 'un trying to come to terms with a confusing world.

or.. ;) somebody bought a Swiffer.
    i'm quite impressed that everyone got so old, so quickly. well done, you bunch of fogeys.
    eh? speak up!
    would this be a bad time to post a clip from Whitest Kids U Know - The Grapist re: advertising grapes?

:) <--- haz halo
    well, i had to google that, to start with.

then, having watched a mere 30 seconds of it, i'd already 'got' the joke that was then repeated for the remainder of the 3 minute 44 second "clip".

i'd say that there is probably never a good time to post one of these clips.
    you watched it all?!!? zomg. i didn't make it past the first 30 seconds.

you do have that inquiring mind ... or a willingness to hope it will get better. maybe both.

:)
    i didn't watch it all, just dragged the slider around a bit.
    whew
    last word.
  • edited August 2010
    :D <---silent

McDonald’s: MacFries Pedestrian Crossing

man, i particularly dislike M™, but they do often hire ad agencies that outsource the work to creative people.
    see what i mean? fuckers :D

McDonald’s: Veggieburger
    haha i liked this series for d.vice ('adult' shop, it seems).

concurs with chris over McDs - both points (it's annoying isn't it, to have to smile at their advertising!)

ROFL @ d.vice

(possibly a student piece)
    Breast Cancer Foundation (BCF) Ads

Medium: Kryolan grease paint on skin. Daler Rowney Expression Angle Brushes and Sponge.

Interesting project I was involved in recently. Painting on a LIVE MODEL, graphic style! Interesting paint that doesn’t dry but the challenge is to paint on contoured body skin. It’s tricky but once you get the hang of it, it’s ok. Sketch and idea was confirmed on paper with the creative team. 3 day schedule locked down at Republic Studios because each piece took about half day to complete which includes touch ups on the body paint and photography. This job was really smooth sailing because the creative team really knew what they wanted. Special thanks to the team at DDB Singapore, Republic Studios and the model. This is one of those jobs that you need a team to pull off.

Do email me if you need to know more about the paint and technique. Will try to acquire the process in detail to share with you guys.

Agency: DDB Worldwide, Singapore
    Executive Creative Director: Joji Jacob
    Creative Director: Thomas Yang
    Copywriter: Khairul Mondzi
    Art Director: Andrea Kuo
    Photographer: Allan Ng (Republic Studios)
    Digital Imaging: Agnes Teo
    Illustrator: Andy Yang Soo Kit
    Account Director: Rowena Bhagchandani
    Account Executive: Ng Ling Kai
    NSFW:
    [hide]
    Larger image: here[/hide]

Also, lol @ "This is one of those jobs that you need a team to pull off"
    peak' said...concurs with chris over McDs - both points (it's annoying isn't it, to have to smile at their advertising!)
    if you throw enough money at it, you can make marvelous, funny, seductive, exceptional ads about almost anything. :) in fact, you can get the best and brightest talent out there. i don't quite think of McDonald's ads as toxic, but it's a close call (for me).

speaking of....

this IS what i think of as a toxic ad:

worthless/at best confusing; information propagating an ugly stereotype about people who look different than the average guy on the street. and....since when is AIDS caused by hugs?

err, i believe this is another case of you not getting it, mick :)
    I think you're reading too much into that ad
    hmmm. i get what the PSA was supposed to be saying. "things aren't always as innocent as they look" and "wear a condom".

i think they sacrificed credibility trying for shock value, and the message got lost. appears to me that all it does is promote xenophobia.

unless.... maybe the message is: furries are even weirder than you thought.

;) at any rate, i'll bow to the more sophisticated media consumers.
    the point is don't judge a book by its cover, you just don't like the covers...the ad is fine, and im not sophisticated
    i meant that as complimentary. perhaps "savvy" would have been a better word, or even, "experienced".

:) i do have a tendency to take things literally. i do get the point. you (fazyluckers) mostly put up with me while i figure stuff out that isn't obvious to me. that's appreciated.

x
    Yes, over analysing advertising isn't going to get us anywhere - not sure what I thought of the AIDs one, in terms of the effectiveness of the message, but it didn't offend... it was more about 'what lurks inside'...
    :)

pizza
    pretty good "brandvertainment":

even better:

this film is less than 2 minutes, and is a lovely glimpse at the art of cobbling those amazing shoes.

more than 8 minutes of photographic documentation/slideshow (with music) of the process.

it's a family business that became world-famous for beauty and quality.

also:
    Though he was recently commissioned to create a pair of shoes that cost $70,000, most of Esquivel's custom shoes range in price from about $800 to $4,000 per pair. The majority of styles from his ready-to-wear line cost between $500 and $1000.
    pizza ad = meh.