CS3 InDesign Tips & Tricks - share yours here

edited July 2007 in advice
Someone told me about a really cool trick in InDesign CS3 and I thought I'd share:

How to Place Multiple Images

Let's say you have a layout with a lot of images to place. You have all the placeholder boxes set up - now wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to click on each box and choose File, place or (cmd+D) everytime? Now, you can.

"How?" you ask

1. Without anything selected in your document, do FILE > PLACE (command+D)
2. navigate to the folder that has your images
3. using shift or command, select all the images you want to place
4. when you return to your InDesign document and go to your first box, you'll notice that you have a loaded cursor displaying the first image thumbnail
5. click on the box and the image is inserted (at full original size - you'll still need to tweak them individually)

Now you say, "well that's cool, but what if I'm on box 2 but i want image 8 to go into box 2?"

6. with your loaded cursor, use your up and down (or left & right) arrow keys on your keyboard to move through the image thumbnails in your loaded cursor.

"Ok, ok, that's pretty sweet," you say, "but what if I loaded an image I don't really want to use after all?"

7. arrow to the image in your cursor and hit the esc key - it deletes it from your loaded cursor.

"Pretty Fucking Sweet!" you say, well unless of course you already knew this, then you just say "eh, whatever" and move on.

Comments

• edited 1:27AM
    cs3? sheesh, i aint even done cs2 yet :)
    Great tip Mesk can definately see me using that one! And the switching through multiple image thumbs before placing trick will be handy too.
    Cheers

You learn something new everyday dont you know! :happy:
    ooops, I have loads of tips to share (I forgot about this thread)
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 1:27AM
    Ooooooooo thank you, LaFemme!
    My favorite CS3 tip is getting a job where you don't have to use it.

I understand lawn mowing makes nice money this time of year.
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 1:27AM
    ahhh THERE is the resident cynic! :happy: SAID WITH LOVE,you curmudgeon you!