My First Design Award

edited June 2007 in conversations
I have been fortunate enough to work for some good architects in my short career so far. Good architects and good employers with a track record of winning regional, national and international awards.

blah enough except that a project I designed has won an award.

As is the nature of the construction industry I didnt work on the scheme from start to finish and I can hardly claim credit for the finished article. What I am most proud of however is that the basic concept remained true to that i first sketched idly in the pub across the street from the site. 'Idly' is too dismissive there was of course a great discourse on the concept that post-rationalised the form into true architect twaddle.

Anyways this is the link to the announcement - its a small award but i'm nonetheless proud :D

<edit>Its been long listed for the 2007 Stirling Prize also. Not a hope of winning but its another feater and all that</edit>

Comments

• edited 12:04PM
    Well done Urban,

is that Alsop architects as in Will Alsop?
    it is
    urbansurgeon:...its a small award but i'm nonetheless proud :D
    size doesn't matter. congratulations mate
    Well done again then :wink:
    that and the fact i've been promoted it's been a good month
    it sounds like mate ! er...well done again !
    congrats on both counts urban :)
  • edited June 2007
    i've only ever heard of Madge Allsop... until now, that is (NO...i HAVE heard of Alsop Architects before... i just remembered..). Congrats, UrbanS :smile:

Edited for truth..
    congratulations!
    it looked like this when i handed it over
    urbansurgeon:My First Design Award
    and surely not the last. :)

congratulations, sweetpea. you done good.

i like the deco one better than the glary glasshouse one, too.

x
    Pretty fucking awesome design, and hearty congrats.

Hopefully i can buy you a congratulatory drink soon ;)
    congrats, babes :D
    Wow, like...it's already been built? Nice.

Congratulations! :happy:
    nice job! congrates!
  • edited June 2007
    you shot your load to early...its all downhill from here. :D

congrats! :)
    Congratulations...it must be nice to be recognised for something concrete (well.. and glass, etc..). Beats pushing moodily lit blobs around all day! I'd like to make something that made people's daily lives better, too..:smile:
    mick:
    urbansurgeon:My First Design Award
    i like the deco one better than the glary glasshouse one, too.
    deco as in decorated? yeah they went all corporate on my ass - well up to a point, its still a glass box tilted up with a bunch blobs

i was particularly inspired by Thomas Bayrle at the time
    its still a glass box tilted up with a bunch blobs

i'm glad that you don't use convoluted arty-farty phrases to describe the work, too ;)
  • edited June 2007
    like ...
    from Philip Jodidio, US, Architecture in the United States, via Curbed
    Asymptote's approach primarily emerged from a serge for an apropos musical assembly of glass and geometry whereby a play of reflections, atmosphere and surface produce an enveloped of effects that would weld the disparities of brick, ornament and stoops with glass, smoothness and constant plays of surface and space, resulting in another definition of elegance possibly transcending that of the high modernist traditions and minimalist aspirations expressed in the adjacent towers and the quaintness and scale of domesticity that the building is situated in.”
    The grammatical mistake of ending a run-on sentence with a preposition is not the worst part of this archibabble. I'm not a fan of it and prefer the plain speaking approach. To be honest that was how i described the concept at the time. Easier to have integrity that way IMHO
    i agree completely - it's refreshing to know that others think the same. it always seemed to me that people create something which is pretty cool, then spend a lot more time trying to come up with clever explanations and descriptions for them. it really does separate the creation and who it was created for (more often than not).

reminds me of that brian sewell.
    more blobs, less glass!

it reminds me a bit of that brooding house that Frank Lloyd Wright built on the edge of a cliff. :) maybe he was inspired by the same person. (i'm too slow to google today).

yeah, urbanski, i can't imagine you going all arty-fart-speak. when something is described like the above quote, i always think of the "sound and fury" quote from Macbeth.

x
  • edited June 2007
    that's cool, congratulations! You must be stoked. I like the model better than the actual building, but than again, I've never been much of a fan of glass curtain walls

I do however, have one urgent request; if you get a chance, would you be so kind as to severely injure whoever is responsible for the 'Calypso' plan in Rotterdam (also by Alsop)? :happy:
    That design is just so insanely dated and out of place in a city such as Rotterdam.

impressions:
    http://207.44.228.232/images/B02/2166.jpg
    http://207.44.228.232/images/B02/2163.jpg

the only reason for this design would seem to be that the person would want to out-ugly the existing buildings, (Except the cinema building by Koen van Velzen, first picture bottom-right, I like that a lot)
    That or some one's trying to exact revenge for being kicked out of the Rotterdam Central Station job...

sorry for the rant, that Calypso thing just really upsets me, as it is a historic and vital entrance to the city centre, and first impressions make all the difference...
    alas kickings are tricky - i dont work there anymore
    No disrespect as well Urban, but I'm really glad there wont be his cloud here in Liverpool!
    Not stealing thunder or anything, but just found out we won an ISP Gold award for one of our campaigns. I worked with an AD to create look and feel for a nationwide student campaign, based on Jamaican sound system concepts (it was my idea originally stated in a brainstorm too :D - before every other person steamed right in). Apparently it was a huge success and we're doing it again this year.

~goes back to being a cog in a machine
    gratz :)
    well done meska - liek the above it doesnt matter you dont get personal recognition - you still deserve to feel chuffed

have a cold one on me
  • edited June 2007
    Mesk,

big yo self up indeed !

I'd luv to see some artwork. Without sounding like a stalker or anything, Ive always respected your stuff (violins!), one of the reasons why I stuck with BB was yours and Chris's pst matches :wink: (underground exposure)
    wow that is some awesome work there :D

Congrats for the prize i am sure many more will follow!!