images that (should have) changed the world

edited June 2007 in conversations
don't look if at work and prone to burst into tears

utterly amazing and terrible at the same time

Comments

• edited 11:18PM
    wow
    Thanks for being heartbroken and uplifted at the same time.
    That was quite moving, seriously!
    Just a note, I'm glad not to see any web ads on that page (or the site for that matter). Too many times I've seen articles/collections like this one, with adsense between every other photo. I was all ready to make my "outrage post" too. :tongue:
    Hey that's a nice find ob.

I know 99% of the images (they are not currently loading but I know them by the titles) but it's interesting to see them pulled into one place. The whole debate about a photographs ability to 'change the world' has been on the table for years - what was the contribution made to the ending of the Vietnam War by front page images, etc.

(Goes off to e-mail link to all his students . . .)
    . . . the Kim Phuc photograph nearly didn't make it to the page, not the one we know at least.

There's a story by the bureau chief at AP (think it was AP), a German guy, who told of a junior being concerned about full-frontal nudity. The chief was out of the office at the time they were getting ready to wire but on getting back and seeing this image . . .

The rest is history
  • edited June 2007
    (Sorry if you already know this, but this post fired my passion for photo)

Execution of a Viet Cong Guerrilla [1968]

There's a powerful bit of News footage that also cover this incident and Eddie Adams feels that, from comparing the footage, with his image and recollection of the time, one of the most compelling things about this image is that the bullet was in the man's head at the exact moment of the camera exposure!

It's also interesting comparing the two, news footage, still image. The news footage seems so fleeting, yet the still is so compelling . . .
    I'm feeling down :(
    the "good" pictures don't make up for the "bad" ones...
    i'd seen all those pictures, too, but also.. not assembled on one page.

i agree with Peak'.... some of those pics DID change the world.

thanks obie. :D

x
    woah great find - i've not seen all those compiled in one place like that. Thanks.
    Well, I'm not say they did or didn't change the world - I think the juries out, but if we'd never seen them, then we wouldn't be discussing this right now.