out of your window

2»

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Oldies but goldies!

This is some 500 meters from my apartment

The closest gas station to my home. It is not an Esso anymore though.

This park is just outside my front door. 20 meters from my bed. I live at 11'o clock.

The second closest park to my apartment. Has the closest doggy park. 700 meters or so. Give or take.

Rest of the stuff can be found here
    (most of the pictures are pretty close too)
    Kallio (Swedish: Berghäll) is a district and a neighbourhood in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, located on the eastern side of the Helsinki peninsula about one kilometere north from the city centre. It is one of the most densely populated areas in Finland. Kallio (literally "the rock") is separated from the city centre by the Siltasaarensalmi strait, over which is a bridge called Pitkäsilta ("long bridge"). Traditionally, the bridge marks the symbolic divide between the bourgeois centre and the more working class areas around Kallio.

After the forming of the new centre in the 19th century, the city expanded northward. Kallio became the area inhabited by factory workers. However, most of the working-class families have long ago been replaced as the most typical Kallio residents by young adults and elderly people living alone, in a process which could be seen as some sort of gentrification. For many people who move into Helsinki from elsewhere in Finland, Kallio is the area where they first settle. Most flats are small, and the rents were are typically somewhat lower than elsewhere in central Helsinki, partly explaining the area's popularity among students and artists. However, the rents have increased as the district has grown more popular and become an increasingly desirable area to live in.

Kallio (and Harju, which is often considered a part of Kallio) also has, more than any other district in Helsinki, a reputation as a "bohemian" and liberal area. The area has a heterogeneous population and a large number of bars. The area also has a number of sex shops and strip joints.
  • edited 7:52PM
    Just down the road!

Click for the story!
    yike! keep your head down, 'peak. you live in a crime zone!

jussi, i

and arrive downtown

the other side of the street

at the top of the steep hill that bisects the island is the 50 meter-long community graffiti and advertising fence,

when you turn off the main road, you pass by one of my adoptive parent's places. Nita collects flotsam.

turn at the sign. it's the only way to go

if you go straight, you'll hit ocean

walk left into the forest

pass the goblet tree

go through a stand of Arbutus

you'll come down the bluff to my "swimming hole"

if you aren't going swimming, you should have turned (back on the road) right at the signpost

to arrive (pic is old; deck's been redone. evergreen clematis is enormous-er)

before dark

looks damn good mickles
    I'd be stuck at the Goblet tree. AWESOME!
    tell jessica fletcher i said hi!
    No pics of Fanny Bay though.

I am disappoint.
    mick wins
    nah :p there's no "win".

every place has its advantages and drawbacks.

peak'... when you're done with Jessica Fletcher, send her my way, please. i could use her.
    mick said...nah :p there's no "win".

every place has its advantages and drawbacks.

peak'... when you're done with Jessica Fletcher, send her my way, please. i could use her.
    Jessica Fletcher?
    chris said...tell jessica fletcher i said hi!
    i made an assumption that chris was talking to you, since you mentioned a crime in your area. :)

Jessica Fletcher solves murders (literary character).

sorry if i created confusion.

x
    i was pretending you live in cabot cove, mick.
    Ah, mystery solved :)
  • edited February 2011
    ^ She sells sea shells.
    that does say 'work', right?
    yus

just also sayin'
    also, next-door-but-one, but that was a bit long.
    also, next-door-but-one, but that was a bit long.
    Boing!
  • edited February 2011
  • edited September 2011
    swansea marine river tawe barrage sail bridge sa1 waterfront
  • i knew it!

only after it had appeared in your FB feed, of course. but still, i knew it!
  • edited February 2012
    Pretty epic view, it was difficult not to keep looking out of the window!

Here is this morning's version

not out of my window, but a photo of surf off newgale beach, wales.
  • Chris this looks awesome. I often think I have never travelled in the UK that much. I'm such a tan seeker that I need my yearly fix and not a promise of one so...
  • oh my, this is kinda what i'm mentally saving for, i think...

• ...or close to this

Emerald Lake in the crater of an extinct volcano. Tongariro National Park – NewZealand.
  • ^Beautiful C
  • I agree... although I find it difficult to believe you filmed that from your window...
  • hehe

they missed out loads of cool stuff, though. but still, it's pretty cool :)
  • Bloody lovely.