Sony Ericsson W880i & iTunes

edited June 2007 in conversations
I've been trying to look for an app/script to make iTunes recognize my Sony Ericsson mobile phone. It is supposed to be possible. So far I've found iTuneMyWalkman but it doesn't seem to work properly.

help!

tia

Comments

• edited 2:42AM
    w880 ... isn't that a bit too gay for you? :)
  • edited August 2008
    dang. I had high hopes when I saw that someone had already replied to this thread =(
    sorry, huhn ....

maybe you want to try this: http://www.davidforster.com/2007/02/26/w880_isync_plugin/
    thanks for the tip but i've already got iSync sorted with my W880i =)
    So? How did you do it? Share with the class!
  • edited June 2007
    Biff:So? How did you do it? Share with the class!
    To get iSync to recognize the W880i? With kleinhmichael's linkypoo

||
    ||
    V

Install Instructions:
    Download the tar.gz file below and double click to uncompress it. Place the uncompressed “SonyEricsson-W880.phoneplugin” folder into your:

“Macintosh HD::Users::yourusername::Library::PhonePlugins” directory (create this if it does not exist) and restart iSync. Then just search for your phone and away you go!

You can also place the folder into the system Library folder but until I’ve ironed out any bugs I suggest that you stick to your personal folder to begin with.

Troubleshooting:
    Some users have reported sync failures when pairing was initiated from the Mac. I’m not sure why this would be but I think it’s more a bluetooth problem than specifically to do with iSync as it seems to affect file transfers too. The solution seems to be re-pairing from the phone itself.

El Sourco

I'm still trying to get my W880i sorted out with iTunes. No luck so far =( Drag'n'Droping MP3s works but I think the W880i can't handle ID-Tags higher than 2.2
    SyncTunes 2.0
    SyncTunes synchronises tracks and podcasts from iTunes with a mounted volume (e.g. such as a SD card in a card reader, a PDA's expansion card using Missing Sync, or mobile phones' internal memory).

Why not just drag and drop from iTunes? This is a good method, but why not make it easy to auto-select music tracks and podcasts. Here's the plan:
    1. Insert card into reader/mount device
    2. Launch SyncTunes
    3. Click button
    4. Do something useful instead of selecting/clicking/thinking about iTunes
    5. Pull card out of reader/disconnect device.
    SyncTunes includes many additional features such as creation of M3U and PLS playlists, re-encoding on the fly, and replacing problematic characters in the pathnames of copied files.

As a Mac OS X Universal Binary, SyncTunes supports both PowerPC and Intel based Macs.
    New:
    1. 'Replace' mode sync has been updated to performs true incremental syncs.
    2. Now creates PLS as well as M3U format playlists, with additional formatting options.
    3. Individual M3U/PLS playlists created for child playlists of iTunes folder playlists.
    4. AAC selection includes iTunes Plus AAC as a standard DRM-free AAC.
    5. New look interface replaces brushed metal.
    6. Localised in to French.
    Supported Languages
    SyncTunes supports these localisations: Who might find SyncTunes useful?
    In short, many people with a Mac, iTunes and a PDA or phone with audio playback capability, or non-iPod music player. From user reports, SyncTunes transfers files that work with Palm PDAs, Sony PSP, Sony Ericsson K750/P910/W800i, Siemens SX1 (Symbian s60), Nokia E and N series, and no-brand MP3 player. It is probably compatible with other audio players too, except iPods and any audio player which has a special database file.

SyncTunes's only requirements are that the memory of the device/card is mounted on the Mac's desktop, and is writeable.
    Note: SyncTunes can copy tracks with any file format, even DRM protected formats, but it does not perform any DRM-removal on the files. For each file format transferred, you must have a player application that is capable of handling the format.
    Important Disclaimer
    SyncTunes requires no special privileges to run, and all effort has gone to ensure that it will only perform those actions that are described in here. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

nesfield.co.uk/synctunes

So I don't control the W880i directly from iTunes but I set up a new playlist which SyncTunes uses to sync my W880i with. And it works.
    I've got Dreamsicle, iTunemywalkman and SyncTunes and finally I got SyncTunes to work with my w880i and it actually managed to transfer playlists from itunes right into the walkman playlists. The next problem now is that the walkman can't play the itunes mp4 files and I have to figure out how to solve that.

BUT this is how you get SyncTunes to transfer to w880i walkman: connect your phone to USB, choose "file transfer mode" and not telefone mode (your phone should show up in Finder when you connect this way). Now once connected through USB, in SyncTunes section 2 "volume" click and choose your "phonecard" as appeared on the scrollist. That's it.

If you know how to get the mp4 files to play on your walkman though, would be greatful for some tips.